Monday, April 3, 2017

"Disabled"

I think that Aimee Mullins’s TedTalk was very inspiring. Though I have worked with people with a variety of disabilities and been surrounded by people with disabilities my whole life, I had never looked up the definition for disability either. I think that the definition that is currently available for the term “disability” is very wrong and inaccurate. I thought that how the despite the fact that she had a disability the doctor still gave her a challenge that he knew she would push herself to complete, was a great way to show that while somebody has a disability and it affects them in one way, it does not keep them from being a person and being able to do things when they put their mind to it.


Technically right now I am disabled, while it may not be neurological (it may be haha), I am still a whole person and take offense to the definition of disabled. By no means should somebody have those labels put on them, especially when they already may feel like they do not fit in with other people. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you write, Sarah, and I'm SO glad you're back in class and on the mend.

    ReplyDelete