Thursday, April 27, 2017

Look Mom! No thumbs!

I decided to do my second neuro note on a youtube video called “NO THUMBS CHALLENGE ft CaptainSparklez!” In this video Jordan and Rosanna tape their thumbs to their palms and attempt to do things like making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, peeling and cutting a banana, and writing their name then cutting the paper in half. I think that this relates to people who have MS, arthritis, ALS, and really anybody who doesn’t have use of their thumbs. At first, I didn’t think this would be too hard but then I tried to eat my lunch with no thumbs. This didn’t work out too well. I dropped my hot pocket constantly and trying to hold a fork to eat my fruit was very difficult! I also tried writing my name without my thumbs. When Jordan and Rosanna did it, Jordan’s handwriting was so much better than Rosanna. I figured that mine would look more like Jordan’s since my hand writing is typically pretty good. I was wrong about that!! My name looked like a 4 year old wrote it. I thought that maybe I should move the pen around some to a different position…. Nope didn’t help any. I knew that when you lost your thumb function you lose around 50-60% of what you can do but I thought that the simple things might have been easier, which they weren’t. I recommend other people to try this challenge because trying to do the basic things really makes you see how different and challenging it is for people who can’t do those things. I put the link below this post so you can watch their video if you are interested!! Good luck!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzOXxSgKTF4

1 comment:

  1. Interesting challenge! Always good to widen our own perspective ...

    ReplyDelete