Friday, March 31, 2017

KAWA theory

I ended up really liked the KAWA theory. At first I thought it was slightly far-fetched but when I started thinking about it, I was able to really see it. I began to think through what all would be in my river and how that river has changed so many times in the last year and a half. One thing that I realized was that the driftwood, depending on how it is situated, can just go with the flow of the river or could impede the river. I also liked the theory that the banks of the river are made up of the client context and the relationships that we have or have had. Sometimes we forget about all the things and people that have gone into shaping us to who we are now. I really like that this model reminds us of that and shows the importance of them in our lives. Also, the image of the river going past a rock, really shows how small and insignificant something that you are going through right now really is in the big scheme of things. It doesn’t stop the entire river and doesn’t affect the flow of the river all the way to the end, it just affects it for the time.  

Sometimes when you just hear or read the words about how everything plays a part in your life, it don't really sink in or you don't think that they apply to you. The KAWA theory taking something that you can visualize, breaking it down to the simple components and then applying those components to your life enables you to see how this concept does apply to you.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah, This is a very insightful post! I like this model because it's one that can fairly easily be incorporated into a therapeutic session with a client, and your perspective as shared here will make it an even more powerful therapeutic tool in the future if you so choose to use it that way. Well done!

    ReplyDelete