Thursday, May 11, 2017

Geriatrics


I have always thought I would work with kids since that is what I have always done. Since looking into more of the things that affect a person as they age, I have been thinking more about the possibility of working with that population. This is probably due to having somebody in a nursing home right now and the topics that we have been talking about. Some of the diagnosis's that we have been talking about affect the person as they age and end up impeding their ability to communicate. Something that I think that is crucial about the therapeutic relationship is the not only the relationship with the client but also the relationship with the family. I think that having the relationship with the family is something that not only allows them to have a say in the treatment it also allows for them to have the confidence that you are treating their family member how they should be treated. Also the client needs to have the confidence in their therapist to feel comfortable telling them the things that are going on that they are uncomfortable with.  This is not something that I am sure I would be happy with doing full time but I think that it could be something I would like to do on the side. If I did go into geriatrics, I would want to be the person that the family could trust with their aging family member and the person that they would be sure was doing what they say they are doing. No family deserves to not have trust in the people taking care of their loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment